Freitag, 13. April 2012

ここ どこ?


Koko doko ("here where?" = where am I?). Like last time, I live in Ikoma, which is in Nara Prefecture (next to Osaka). Ikoma is a tiny city of just about 120,000 inhabitants (yep, in Japan that's tiny). Actually, I don't even really live inside that tiny town, it's more like a quiet spot across the mountains which still happens to belong to Ikoma. This quiet spot is part of a larger area where my university as well as a number of research institutions are located in what is called Keihanna Science Town.
Michael has created a nice map which you can find here:

My University is called NAIST, which is short for Nara Institute of Science and Technology. In Japanese it's 奈良先端科学技術大学院大学 (Nara-sentan-kagaku-gijutsu-daigakuin-daigaku), but even the Japanese don't want to pronounce that... NAIST is a rather small graduate school, and there are about 1000 master's and doctoral students in the fields of computer science, biology, and materials science. Despite (or maybe because of) the small size, it has gained a pretty good reputation for it's computer science program, and I think it was a good choice to come here. At my lab, there is one professor and 3 assistant professors who are in charge of around 20 students, so the supervision is very good. It's really more like a team working together, there's less of a distance between professors and students like in Germany.
Well, here are some pictures of my room (especially noteworthy: the cleaning sign for my door. No cleaning, taking out the garbage, or changing sheets for the next 6 months!).


This is the university and my lab:





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen